02 February 2008

It's a Caucus ... Primarily

I just found out that my state has multiple voting mechanism disorder. I was under the impression that WA was a caucus state. I was kind of excited about that, as I've not experienced that before. I've been lumped into that "overseas voter group" most of my adult life, you know, the ones whose ballots come trailing in late, and don't matter anyway, but they won't call the election because "those votes from overseas are still trickling in, folks"? The base commanders always did a big "Your Vote Matters!" campaign, and the USO would push the message, but then we'd see on the news that those votes trickling in never changed the outcome one way or another. That was always disheartening. But I digress.


So Washington, a caucus state, right? The caucuses get going on Feb. 9th. Last week I got a slip in the mail saying the ballots for the Presidential Primary would be mailed on Jan. 31st. Primary?? What about the caucus? I checked The Googles, and sure enough, we're a caucus state. I figured it was just a semantics thing.


So yesterday I get my ballot in the mail, clearly marked for the Presidential Primary. Feb. 19th.

What? Primaries on the 19th? I thought the caucuses were Feb. 9th? Luckily, the trusty State of Washington Voter's Pamphlet came with the ballot, complete with cover art created by a genuine WA state school child, as is the tradition. The art contest is pretty cool. No problem, I'll just check the voter's pamphlet. It should tell me everything I need to know.

Right.

Voters can participate in both the party caucuses and the Presidential Primary as long as they participate on behalf of the same party.

Oh sure, that clears it up! It goes into very brief explanations about the caucus and delegates and all that, but nothing explaining how they're running primarys and caucuses, and how in hell that works. I mean, if I fill out my primary ballot form, send it in, and get my caucus on as well, does that mean I've basically double voted? Twice the input? Or, does it mean I'm just wasting my time at the caucus because it's all decided by the primary ballots anydamnway, and the caucus is just a huge waste of tax payer money? Or are the ballots a waste of money?

I will hit The Googles some more and figure this out, but please people, figuring out the democratic party's caucus system in those states is apparently complicated enough, but if you're going to go the caucus route, at least commit to it. Damn. Maybe some of you long term Washingtonians have figured this fuckery out, but I think it smacks of some major Charlie Fox action.


Vote or Scat!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Up until this year, the Washington State Democratic Party used to choose 1/2 of the delegates from the state's primary. But this year, all of the Democratic Party delegates will be chosen through the caucus system.

The Republicans will still choose 1/2 their delegates from those people who vote on February 19 and the other half from those who caucus.

As a Washington state resident living overseas, I feel disenfranchised by my own State Party! What's up with that?!

The Party allows military voters to request an absentee ballot from the Party so that their delegate choices count, but not civilians.

Where is the democracy in the Democratic Party?

more cowbell said...

Another Scorpio: Thanks for stopping by! Hmm, OK, if that's the case, and all the Dem delegates are chosen through the caucus ... then why is the state mailing out primary ballots to everyone, with the Dem candidates on the ballot? How much does that cost, for something they're not even using? And looking at what you said about how it used to be a half & half deal ... the question remains, if it's permissible to caucus AND vote a primary ballot, then am I getting double the input as a single voter? THis all sounds crazier than Bush in the White House.

I remember voting as a civilian overseas, but can't actually if that included presidential primaries.

sageweb said...

So if you really want to know I can ask my parents. They have been in WA for 47 years and never missed a vote. I voted once in Wa when I was 18 then I got the hell out. Actually if the republicans vote different then the Democrats then my Parents might not know the answer because they don't like them folks.

Just kidding..they will know. I just wasted a whole comment space with absolutely no help. Ha.

Unknown said...

The state sends out the primary ballots and has to send to everyone because the Republicans plan to use the primary to select some delegates.

Just because you're a Democrat (in terms of primary voting) once doesn't mean you'll remain a Democrat. So the state needs to send a ballot to everyone or they may inadvertently disenfranchise someone who hops from party to party depending on the candidate and whatever else spurs them to vote.

Up until a couple of years ago, Washington voters loved crossing party lines and voting for whomever they pleased. But the Supreme Court ruled that the parties have the right to choose their candidates and Washington's parties want to do that choosing.

Me, I think they should pay for the elections as well - as least the primary ones. It costs about $10 million for the primary.

Washington's overseas and military voters can vote in every election because we don't have a state income tax. So, you would have been able to vote every time there was an election.

What I've always thought was silly was allowing everyone to vote for property taxes. Sure landlords will probably pass the increase on, but landlords and homeowners are the ones who have to pay for it.

I grew up in California (lived in WA for 25 years) and renters got a rebate on their state income tax which seemed to make it a much fairer deal since landlords get a rebate on their federal taxes.

Anyway, nice talking to you. Come visit sometime.

sageweb said...

Here is an edited version of my Mom's expalnation:

If there is a caucus it is just like a rally to work up enthusiasm and support for the candidate...I think Obama has a rally in the Seattle area soon...don't know about Hillary and when her troops will be gathering. (I took out her feelings about Hillary here)

We are kind of confused here in WA because this is the first time we've had a presidential primary. Each party usually has precinct comm mtgs and elect representatives to the county caucus and from there the county sends reps to the state convention where they decide who to support and how many people get to attend the nat'l convention and cast their votes there. We've attended several county conventions and a few state conv...for the republicans, of course!

(so they have lived there 47 years and they are as confused as you....except for the republican part)

Unknown said...

Your Mom just doesn't remember because the last Presidential Preference Primary was held in 2000. It was also held in 1992 and 1996.

In 2004 they decided to save the money and they should have saved it this year as well.

Red Seven said...

I wish Sageweb would have included her mom's feelings about Hillary. Actually ... no, I'm glad she edited.

Here in DC, we just have a straight-up primary. This year, for the very first time in my adult life, people might actually be watching the DC primary since it's likely that both Clinton and Obama will be viable candidates on Feb. 12th. I've always participated, but it seems cool that it'll actually matter this year -- and we might actually be visited by a candidate or two. That's exciting ...

sageweb said...

Another Scorpio, I am sure you are right. My mom is old and she still believes all 6 of her children vote Republican.

Doralong said...

I really miss the entire caucus thing- frankly it rather pissed me off when the Commonwealth of Virginia went with the boring old primary thing.. I really used to enjoy fucking with the old guard and putting in a vote for Jesse Jackson- or whatever candidate in a given year would piss them off the most..

Ah good times, good times..

yellowdoggranny said...

i will climb back on my soap box..
'IT'S THOSE DAMN BLUEDOG DEMOCRATS'..need more yellowdogs...

Kimberly Ann said...

I'm a native Washingtonian and I didn't even know we were a caucus state until this year. Go figure. It is damn stupid to have the real decision happen on February 9 but then they hold the primary election on the 19th anyway. Just one of the many many things wrong with our voting process.

whimsical brainpan said...

I find caucuses confusing myself. I'm glad my state had a Primary. I think it sucks big time that it doesn't really count since it is held in May.

Lorraine said...

I'd weigh in but I'd just confuse the issue even more. I'm going to my caucus on Saturday. Love the caucus.

more cowbell said...

Lorraine -- feel free, confuse away, seriously. You're a longtime (lifelong?) WA resident, right? Any light you could shed would probably be clearer than the mud I've got going on in my head right now. From what I've been able to find out, and from Scorpio's comments, seems like the state needs to commit one way or another. I wonder how many voters they lose because people don't know which one even counts.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you're confused. If you're a political junkie (admitted), you know this. If not, the Democratic Party has been pretty good about telling people as have the environmental and other good group organizations. Even the papers have weighed in.

Caucusing can be fun...lots of getting to know your neighbors and arguing about/for your candidate.

If you're a Democrat, please caucus, your vote will then count.

Come November, we'll all be voting and our vote will count.

more cowbell said...

Oh yes, they have gotten the news out -- about the caucuses. I wasn't confused at all until the primary ballot came in the mail. In fact, this being my first time living in a caucus state, yes, I did actually read up on how the caucus works, how to participate. OK, no problem. I was excited about going.

Fast forward to the primary stuff arriving in the mail, that's when I was wondering, what the hell is this, we're supposed to be a caucus state.

I'm just saying, if they're going to be a caucus state, BE one. Forget the primary. Save some money. And if you are going to do both, when you send out the "Voters Pamphlet", which is supposed to give voters direction regarding the elections, how 'bout putting a sentence in there saying, "hey citizens, the caucus is the one that counts, so do that if you want your voice to be heard," instead that lame bit you threw in saying "voters can participate in both, as long as it's for the same party."

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to shed some light on it all. I'm bitching about the ridiculousness of it, but yes, I'm very much looking forward to casting my vote ... in whatever form it needs to be in.

Unknown said...

Remember, the primary does count for Republicans. If the Republicans had decided, as the Democrats did, not to use the Primary - the State would have cancelled it. But obviously, Republican voters want to be able to cast ballots, especially those who can't or won't take part in caucuses.

If we made the parties pay for these little exercises, you bet they'd play better with each other. But since the taxpayer is footing the bill, their attitude is "who cares?"