The Canine Chronicles
We actually had two days of sunshine, which helped my mood considerably, so I loaded up the dogs and took them to a local park with trails in a big wooded area. With all the fuckery of this year -- everyone's illnesses, Batman's tooth surgery, the car mess, our regular schedules and the constant rain -- I haven't had the boys out to run much as much as I should.
They were thrilled at being turned loose in this dog paradise. Mason, old as he is, looked like a joyful puppy, trotting back and forth, nosing around, finding stinky things. Dogs are so weird about stinky things. I think Batman saw a squirrel, because he was doing his best greyhound imitation when all of a sudden he stumbled, stopped short, and was yelping and howling like a four-legged banshee. I'd never heard Batman cry before. He's very stoic when in pain, and tends to mask it. When he broke that huge tooth off at the base, we didn't even know it until it fell out of his mouth.
I thought he'd gotten tangled in blackberry bushes, and took off to free him from the thorny bonds. When I got there, no blackberry bushes in sight, but he was stumbling, still yelping and crying. His leg was just hanging there, not moving. Shit. I'd never seen him actually look afraid before.
The son had seen it from a different angle. Batman had run into a jagged tree stump. His back leg got caught in it and probably got twisted. He couldn't walk, even on three legs.
Thank goodness I had my son with me. He carried Batman more than a quarter mile to the car. That may not sound like much, but you try carrying 70 pounds of scared, squirming Labradog in an uncomfortable position and make it around your local track one and a half times. There is no way I'd have been able to get both dogs out of there without him.
Anyway, in typical Batman fashion, this happened on a holiday weekend, and my vet was out of town. Sound familiar? Yeah, that's how we roll here. We described the symptoms to our vet, who was in Arizona, and who happens to be Male Offspring's girlfriend's mom. She said we could wait until morning as long as we kept him immobilized.
Luckily the vet's office was open the next day, President's Day, otherwise I'd be bending over for the emergency vet's version of a Sloe Comfortable Screw. There were no open appointments, but we were welcome to drop him off and they'd get to him between appointments. I really didn't want to drop him off, but it was either that or suffer the perverse ministrations of emergency vet. I dropped him off.
This is actually genius, from the vet's standpoint: they get to charge me for the non-existent appointment and in-house, drop-off care. They may not ram it home as hard as emergency vet, but they've got their own techniques.
Unbelievably, the leg is probably not broken. It's still swollen, but definitely not a clean snap, the bone feels okay. There is still the possibility of a hairline fracture, or a badly torn ligament, but they're thinking it's just a strained ligament. If he doesn't improve by tomorrow morning, I'll bend over again for further measures, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary. He is putting weight on it now, most of the time, although he still holds it up at times. He's got good drugs, so he doesn't care much, and he's got squirty stuff to put in the ear which had been bothering him. Yeah, he hates that part.
I'm just glad he's probably going to be okay, and that the son was with me.
Next time, Batman, can you please, for once, try for a weekday when our vet is in town? Thanks.
They were thrilled at being turned loose in this dog paradise. Mason, old as he is, looked like a joyful puppy, trotting back and forth, nosing around, finding stinky things. Dogs are so weird about stinky things. I think Batman saw a squirrel, because he was doing his best greyhound imitation when all of a sudden he stumbled, stopped short, and was yelping and howling like a four-legged banshee. I'd never heard Batman cry before. He's very stoic when in pain, and tends to mask it. When he broke that huge tooth off at the base, we didn't even know it until it fell out of his mouth.
I thought he'd gotten tangled in blackberry bushes, and took off to free him from the thorny bonds. When I got there, no blackberry bushes in sight, but he was stumbling, still yelping and crying. His leg was just hanging there, not moving. Shit. I'd never seen him actually look afraid before.
The son had seen it from a different angle. Batman had run into a jagged tree stump. His back leg got caught in it and probably got twisted. He couldn't walk, even on three legs.
Thank goodness I had my son with me. He carried Batman more than a quarter mile to the car. That may not sound like much, but you try carrying 70 pounds of scared, squirming Labradog in an uncomfortable position and make it around your local track one and a half times. There is no way I'd have been able to get both dogs out of there without him.
Anyway, in typical Batman fashion, this happened on a holiday weekend, and my vet was out of town. Sound familiar? Yeah, that's how we roll here. We described the symptoms to our vet, who was in Arizona, and who happens to be Male Offspring's girlfriend's mom. She said we could wait until morning as long as we kept him immobilized.
Luckily the vet's office was open the next day, President's Day, otherwise I'd be bending over for the emergency vet's version of a Sloe Comfortable Screw. There were no open appointments, but we were welcome to drop him off and they'd get to him between appointments. I really didn't want to drop him off, but it was either that or suffer the perverse ministrations of emergency vet. I dropped him off.
This is actually genius, from the vet's standpoint: they get to charge me for the non-existent appointment and in-house, drop-off care. They may not ram it home as hard as emergency vet, but they've got their own techniques.
Unbelievably, the leg is probably not broken. It's still swollen, but definitely not a clean snap, the bone feels okay. There is still the possibility of a hairline fracture, or a badly torn ligament, but they're thinking it's just a strained ligament. If he doesn't improve by tomorrow morning, I'll bend over again for further measures, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary. He is putting weight on it now, most of the time, although he still holds it up at times. He's got good drugs, so he doesn't care much, and he's got squirty stuff to put in the ear which had been bothering him. Yeah, he hates that part.
I'm just glad he's probably going to be okay, and that the son was with me.
Next time, Batman, can you please, for once, try for a weekday when our vet is in town? Thanks.

17 comments:
Poor widdle Batman. Glad to hear that nothing is broken so far, and kudos to the Male Offspring, who should hereafter be referred to as Superman for his valiant rescue.
It just doesn't stop with you does it? I swear that dog is just an attention whore, who will stoop to anything if it means that he gets his share.
the entire time im reading this in my head is da da da da da da batmat...the old theme song from the batman show on tv..glad your puppy is better...
Red: Thanks, he's looking good today, which is almost unbelievable, after how he was acting yesterday. Quite out of character for him. And yeah, the son was a champ. I was really thankful to have him there.
Evil-G: I know, right? Well, if he's an attention whore, you'd think he'd just bring his ball over here for a game of catch, rather than ending up at the vet's office again!
YDG: I know, when we first named him, we amused ourselves every time we said his name. Now it just seems normal. Which probably says something about our family...
Glad to hear the update and I hope he is going to be okay. You are really lucky that it happened when it did and your son was there, as that would not have been a fun situation to navigate by yourself with two scared pups. Just glad things worked out for the most part.
Thanks for the update- that random comment elsewhere had me a little concerned.. Thank Goddess the boy was there to help out! I can relate, I have a dog that weighs as much as I do and there ain't no way in hell I could navigate him on my own.
The poor baby! Damn girl, you can't buy a break here lately, can you?
BTW- tell the Male Offspring to keep dating the Vet's daughter- just sayin'..
cowbell.....here's the problem....batman either needs his cape washed or fix the damn hem, okay? hopefully he is ok and just needed some attention...and then there's the drugs
Glad to hear that Batman is doing okay - you know who I get when I hear a dog is hurt-sick-lost whatever. He does seem like he's a bit of an attention seeker doesn't he - cause I'm sure he doesn't get enough attention as it is (yeah right!!)
Ditto Doralong's advise about MOS and the Vet's daughter. And glad that he was around cause otherwise....
Poor Batman!
I hope he recovers quickly, for both of your sakes.
Oh the puppers! Little sweety face. Good on the young lad to be so helpful. He's a good boy. A tad selfish with the phone but, a good boy all the same.
Al: Yes, I was really glad the son was there. And Mason was of course clingy and shaky, he knew something was wrong. I think with his abused background, seeing Batman yelping and carrying on like that freaked him out.
DL: Well, it hasn't done so much good, him dating the vet's daughter: both recent situations have happened when she's out of town. What is it with this dog?
Rosemary: ha! I'll check on the cape forthwith.
Willym: I know! I felt so bad for him -- he was just so happy to get out of the house, and was running off all that energy. Now he's got more energy than ever built up, and he can't run. Poor buddy.
Whim: Thanks -- he sure has been giving me fits the last couple of months.
Hat: Yes, he is a sweety. Dog and boy. And that phone thing, yeah, the boy's always bogarting my friends. Typical last-born.
Oh poor guy. And what a strong boy you have. I have had to do the carry of a hurt dog before. It is not fun. Mine is a little smaller then yours though. I hope he is off to the races soon. Oh and yippee for the weather, I just left, it was beautiful. Oh I love the photo too.
Dang, honey! That is one dog with a real gift for finding trouble! Hope he's OK and that you haven't had to sell yourself on the streets to pay for it.
Sageweb: Thanks, the pic is actually about a year old. I didn't have my wits about me to actually snap a pic of the son carting him out out of the woods, darn.
Elizabeth: Lately, yes. Normally he's not a problem dog. And as for your suggesting, I don't think that would be bringing in the big bucks these days, so it's a good thing his leg is looking like it's going to be ok, ha!
Feel better Batman!
What an incredible pic of your dog! Looks like one of my 3 dogs! :) Great blog!
Wendy
RG: The muttster is fine now, and pinging off the walls b/c I can't let him run.
wep601: Thanks! He's a character, that's for sure. Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment