25 July 2007

Kucinich: Presidential Candidate or Chick Magnet?

Remember when I was pissed off about Hillary Clinton's femininity being an actual issue in the media, and how it doesn't seem to apply to the guys' masculinity? Remember when I asked why no one questions Dennis Kucinich's masculinity?

Now, I threw that out there, not as an attack on Congressman Kucinich's masculinity, but to illustrate the fact that for those candidates with a penis, masculine/feminine characteristics are a non-issue. It's only brought up in reference to candidates with breasts.

I picked Kucinich for that question because he doesn't strike me as one of those hulking macho guys. Not a bad thing -- those guys are usually arrogant assclowns, and sexist to boot. An overdose of masculinity is not a good thing in my book.

But let's face it, Kucinich isn't exactly butching it up. In fact, he has always put me in mind of a friendly gnome. I don't mean that in a disparaging way -- gnomes are pretty cool. (especially Evil ones wearing sexy hats -- you know who you are.) I know, I know: "Right, Cowbell, how you gonna call somebody a gnome and not mean that in a disparaging way? Sounds pretty damn disparaging to me."

I said friendly gnome, people. No mud-slinging here.

In all seriousness, I was impressed with Kucinich during the YouTube debates. I don't think he can win, but I did like his answers. Did y'all know he's from my home state? Yes, I'm originally a Buckeye. That makes us officially "homies", by the way. As in, "My boy Dennis was giving a speech the other day, and ..." Yeah.

Anyway, I think I know why Dennis Kucinich's masculinity is not in question. I give you his wife, Elizabeth Harper Kucinich. No Barbara Bush the Elder here, people. My man Dennis is coupled up with one smokin' hot willowy sylph of a redhead. I mean, damn! Did I say hot? Yes, I did.

She is 29 years old. He is 31 years her senior. She is British, from Essex, a bit New-Agey, and has a tongue-piercing. Oh yes, she does. A First Lady with a tongue-stud? Yes, I think so.

Now I'm not saying that a woman's hotness is a direct indicator of her man's masculinity -- that's for the testosterone-laden hetero males to debate. I'm just saying I now understand why no one is bringing said masculinity into question.

Why doesn't it work both ways, though? I mean, Bill's a good looking guy. Granted, he's not 29, but still a good looking guy. Why hasn't the media decided that yes, Hillary Clinton is sufficiently feminine (whatever the hell that means) based on the appearance of her husband? Goose and gander, here people.

Of course, if Senator Clinton's husband were a 29 year old hottie, it wouldn't exactly work that way, would it? No, it would not. She would not be "taken seriously". Instead of eliciting high-fives and a You Go Girl! from the masses, she would draw scorn and clucking of tongues. She would be called a Cougar at best, a cradle-robbing hussy buying companionship at worst.

There's just no getting around that double standard, is there?

Bastards.

But back to my man Dennis. Damn! Did you all know this? I didn't. They were married in 2005, after only having known each other for about 3 months. By all accounts, they're very close and genuinely in love. They met in Kucinich's office. This according to Common Dreams:

"Elizabeth Harper walked with her boss into Dennis Kucinich's Capitol Hill office for a meeting and immediately noticed three things. In the reception area, she saw a visiting nun in white robes. In his inner office sat a shelf bearing an illustration depicting "light consciousness" and a bust of Gandhi."

Apparently, that piqued her interest, and she emailed him. Within a few weeks, they were engaged, and married 3 months later. I've got to say, most folks wouldn't imagine them to be partnered up, just based on appearance. I mean, this blows the whole Charles and Diana thing out of the water.

Frog Prince my ass. And did I say gnome? My bad.

Elizabeth though, is no princess. She has volunteered in India with orphaned children, and worked in rural Tanzania as an advocate for regional development. She has a masters degree in International Conflict Analysis. She believes their union to based more on substance than form:

It's not like I'm some ditsy young thing and he's an old fogey. He has the wisdom of an ancient and the energy of youth.

Indeed. I am so sure he must have the energy of youth. That vegan diet must be keeping him chock full o' vim and vigor. I'm sorry, but I've got say it, this man has got to be some sort of freak in the sheets. Think about it.


Her thoughts on their height difference -- she is 6' tall:

Who cares? I like wearing high heels, so I’m used to being taller than most men I stand next to.

That's right girl. Strut.


And for all those who say it must be a money thing, Kucinich doesn't lead an extravagant life, comparatively speaking. At the debates the other night, he said he's still living in a working class neighborhood, in the same house he bought 35 years ago. Can't really say the same for John Edwards. I mean, girl could hook up with a lot of younger, hotter rich guys, if that's what she was after.

Like I said, freak in the sheets.

Now I like a lot of what Kucinich has to say. I have concerns about how he would come across with international relations. And really, after this Charlie-Foxtrot of an administration, we need some serious leadership when it comes to international relations.

However ... if Kucinich had this British enchantress heading to the alter after less than a month, the man must have some serious skillz in the international relations department.

Something to ponder.



Photo credits:
1 & 2: kucinich.us
3: Jason Behnken/Tampa Tribune

20 comments:

vvk said...

She's hotter in real life...

crazy isn't it.

more cowbell said...

You've seen her in real life? If she's hotter than her pics, that's something. Who knew?

rosemary said...

I get it...she hot, he's really smart...and I gussing maybe 10 inches? You think?

Sling said...

Personally,I always thought Hillary was a hottie.
Oh,she's no Condoleeza,but still..

more cowbell said...

Rosemary: Works for me. In a hot minute.

Sling: actually I think she kicks ass. Condi, well, I don't know, but she does have some hot boots.

Anonymous said...

In keeping with the ancient peace rites observed in the Celtic tribe of the Tuatha De Danann, once every 500 years a Fairy is required to marry a Gnome. (twinkles away)

Red Seven said...

Call me cynical ...

But the last time Kucinich ran for President, there was barely audible chatter about his, um ... bachelor-hood, whispered in that you-don't-think-he's-gay-do-you kind of tone. And I think he went out and got himself the best wife that money could buy so he'd seem more Presidential the next time.

I have no way of proving this, of course, but I don't trust ANYONE in politics to be above this ...

In the YouTube debate, I did like Kucinich's answers, both because I agreed with almost all of them, but also because he's doing his job, making more realistic candidates sound all reasonable and moderate by being all way-out-in-left-field like that.

And yeah -- if I was into girls, she'd totally be my type. Hotness abounds, it is true.

more cowbell said...

Hat: You are a font of knowledge.

Red: I don't know -- if he was looking to "buy" a presidential type wife, I don't think she'd be it. Besides her obvious hotttness, she's seriously new age -- if you check out her myspace page (yes, she has one -- pretty unpresidential right there) she's all about karma and consciousness and cosmic connections and whatnot. She quotes the Karma Sutra. Mainstream America is not really going to be down with that, IMHO. And if all that doesn't do it, that tongue-stud will drive the nail in that coffin.

And like I said, this girl could surely snag younger/hotter if it's just money she's after. Kucinich is listed in the bottom rungs of candidates as far as personal wealth.

Oh, and I was wrong (I'll correct this in the post) about one thing: Kucinich lives in a working class neighborhood in the same house he purchased 35 years ago, not 22 like I thought I remembered from the debate.

I'm skeptical that the deal could be about money or First Lady material here. She could get that lots of places, and if he's looking for First Lady material, he probably should be looking a couple of decades up, and a lot less of the new age stuff.

Red Seven said...

Hmmm ... maybe.

The thing is, while she may not be traditional First Lady material, she will (and does) appeal to that which we must call Kucinich's "base" (the leftiest of the lefties).

And any wife is better than snarky haters wondering if you're gay.

If, on top of all that, it's true love -- then that's great. I'm not convinced that Dennis went out and bought himself a wife, I just wouldn't put it past him (or any of them, for that matter) ...

Red Seven said...

See? Cynical.

Lorraine said...

Oh, honestly, Red. I wouldn't put something like that past your average politician but Kucinich? Look at his base. You think being gay would be something he'd hide if he were? Not even. The great thing about Kucinich is he can say all the stuff he wants to say and be as authentic about it as possible because he doesn't have a snowball's chance of getting elected and he knows it.

Nah, he hooked with the hottie for real. And personally, I think it would be awesome to have a First Lady like her. Dang. And Nicole Kidman can play her in the biopic.

Anonymous said...

If I am anything (which I am not claiming to be but will hap'ly pay you good money to imply that I am) it is a font.
And hello Lorraine!? Totally Nicole Kidman'esque. Lovely.
Sadly, if he actually made it to the white house, I fear that this topic would continue to overshadow anything else he might be doing.

more cowbell said...

Hey, nothing wrong with some healthy cynicism. Well, it doesn't really matter if she appeals to his base, because his base is not enough to get him elected. You can't get elected without a good bit of mainstream America in your camp. Either that or an in with the Diebold company. And yes, a pierced peacenik wife is better in Mainstream America's eyes than a gay man in the White House, but like Lorraine said, ain't no way he's getting in either way.

Hat: I don't know -- if he made it to the White House, I think she would just fit in pretty much with the rest of his beliefs and way of life -- I think everything about him would overshadow running the country. Folks would be up in arms about them being buds with Shirley MacLaine, about them being vegetarian, about him having a friggin' Ghandi statue -- the whole package would freak people out. That's why I think he doesn't have a chance.

I think she'd rock as FL.

Anonymous said...

I think he was spot on during the debates, and I always welcome his comments. He says it like it is, and it doesn't hurt that I agree with most of his policy discussions. I have to agree with MC though, I think this is legit, not a beard play. I think he either has tons of sexual energy, a really big schlong, or is a master of tongue aerobics. Since I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell to be elected, I don't really care one way or the other. I do really like him though!

Red Seven said...

Hmmmmm.

Well, like I said, if it's true love for the both of them, then I'm happy.

But all of this makes me wonder ... WHY is he running for President? If he's as intelligent as we know he is, then he has to know that he doesn't have a snowball's chance, right? Then why? Perhaps he knows that he can make "scary liberals" like Senators Clinton, Obama, and Edwards look more moderate by swinging even farther to the left ...

... but what's in it for him personally? Hmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I've asked the same question Eric, and haven't come to a logical conclusion. His people have to be aware that his numbers just don't add up to a serious presidency bid. Perhaps the DNC helps him along for the very reason you just mentioned. He is the voice that helps centrists swallow a little bit more progressive ideals from the more moderate candidates

more cowbell said...

Red/Tater: at least he's not running as an Independent -- I hate that, because the Indies are always more from the left side of the camp, and they just split up the blue vote, giving power to the republicans.

Lorraine said...

Sometimes I think of running for office just to get things into the debate that wouldn't be there otherwise. I mean, plain speaking just doesn't cut it anymore if you want to get elected, does it? You have to mince your words and all that crap. I always love hearing someone dare to say the truth, even though they know it won't get them anywhere. But yeah, MC, glad he's in the tent and not doing a Nader.

evilganome said...

I like him (aside from being a gnome) for the same reason that I liked Howard Dean. He is talking about serious problems and actually answers on point. Is he electable? I doubt it. I think if he has any agenda it is to bring serious issues to light, and not the off topic fluff that the media seems to be in love with. As for Mrs. K. Yeah, she is a hottie. And Cowbell, stop giving away gnome secrets. Okay. We all know why people wind up dating us, but I'm just sayin'.

more cowbell said...

Evil-G: do tell! Hmm...