Men in Tights AND Women in Pads
I. My boys are on the field. It's still pre-season, so it doesn't "count", but who cares. A game's a game in my book.
Last week ... the Packers handed our asses to us on a platter. A cheese platter. We did beat San Diego the week before though
Here's hoping the boys turn things around tonight.
I, unlike Lorraine with High School Musical, will not be live-blogging the game tonight. (except to say we've already recovered their fumble, and scored, not 2 minutes into the game.)
Hey!! The exaggerated sighs of relief are not even necessary. I can hear you from here. Yes, as a matter of fact, I am aware enough to realize that most of my readers are infinitely more interested in musicals than football games.
Punks.
--------------------------------
II. You all want to know about some badass women? Check out the Seattle Majestics. They are women football players. You heard me right. And I am not talking Powder Puff. Tackle. These girls are on the line. In pads, with helmets.
Badass.
Today they got to play a post-season (for them) exhibition game before the Seahawks game, in front of a full crowd at Qwest field. Hell yeah. They play through the Independent Women's Football League (IWFL).
I like that they're not called The Lady Seahawks. I hate that shit. Like our high school's girls basketball team is called The Lady Warriors. (Knight type, not the stereotypical Native American type, as my high school was) There's just something about that which I find demeaning. Like they're not the real Warriors. Like aw, aren't they cute, the little ladies. Fuck that.
Anyway, the Majestics have been getting more publicity, and I'm happy they got to play at Qwest today. Just like the big boys, right? Next season I'm taking the kids to some games. I'm sure they'll be cheaper than Seahawks tickets, which is another fucked up aspect of women's sports, as far as the message it sends about what they're worth, but it works for my budget.
You go Grrlz!

11 comments:
remember the fridge and the fridgettes? chicago bears? 80s? ok, as far as football and ladies and whatnot, that's all i got. i know nothing.
The IWFL team here in DC is called the "DC Divas." Hmmm. Still, as you say, better than the "Lady Redskins" (which is SO offensive on SO many levels).
Monica: I remember the refrigerator, but don't know anything about the fridgettes. Again though with the "ettes" thing ... like they're just little cute versions of the "real" thing.
Red: OK, I have to admit, DC Divas kind of has a ring to it. And yeah, the daughter is back in DC now, and says the name (Redskins) just grates on her every time she hears it. I can not believe they haven't changed it by now, it's 2007. I think that one is even worse than "Braves" and "Chiefs" and whatnot.
Remember the 'rap' song that the Fridge did? Or the Raiders song on Dr. Demento?
"Went to a game to see the L.A. Raiders, couldn't get out of those little elevators. Tried to get out, I was doin my part. All of a sudden, I felt I had to...go eat a hot dog. HEY! Break it down"
heh heh. Dr. Dimento. Gotta love it.
(stands next to Monica in the 'football dummy' section)
I remember the Bears' Superbowl Shuffle, but that's about it from that time -- I wasn't much into football, or any sports, then. (shocking, I know)
Cowbell: I've half a mind to get a petition going to rename DC's NFL team "The Darkies" ... y'know, just to prove that physical racial descriptors aren't at all insulting or degrading. Yeah, I'll let you know how that goes ...
Red: ha! I see your point, but you'd probably get your ass beat before that point could be made.
Thus ... making the point. Hmm. Maybe you've got something there. You go ahead, keep us updated.
What is this "football" you incessantly go on about anyway? Is this some American form of soccer? Is it as entertaining as fashion, opera, ballet, theater, or decorating? Please elaborate.
(Da Bears are so gonna kick ass this season. They can do it even though they are utilizing a third string QB. Just you watch...) :)
Oh no you didn't just support the Bears on my site. No, football is not an Americanized version of soccer. I don't know why people are always on about the either-or thing with football and soccer. Two different games.
And I'm sorry, but have you SEEN the soccer players? Dude, I was taking off work to watch the World Cup games. The kids and I couldn't figure out why nobody else was psyched. People were all like, "The World What? Is that golf?"
It is a DIFFERENT entertaining than theater, opera etc. With hot men. Hello, Shawn Alexander? Deon Grant? Hawt.
Okay, the fact that you just acknowledged aloud that most of your readers are more into musicals than football just made me feel extremely special and elite and now I love you even more.
JP: that's because you are special and elite.
And you know I meant that "Punks" with the utmost affection...
Post a Comment