Geraldine Ferraro: Obama's Lucky He's Black.
I just couldn't let this one go, now could I? Geraldine Ferraro, former congresswoman, former vice-presidential nominee, and staunch Clinton supporter, had this to say about Barack Obama's incredible run for the White House:
If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.
What? Did she really just throw that card down? You'd think Kellyanne Conway was her new BFF or something, slinging that kind of talk around.So, if Barack Obama is so lucky, in this election process, to be Black, why is he the first to really have a shot? To say that he wouldn't be there if he were a White man ... I'm sorry, it's ludicrous. What, do you mean like the 40+ presidents who came before? You mean those White men?
Every previous president of this country came up through a system set up by White people, for the benefit of White people. Our own friggin' FUBU, y'all, For Us, By Us. A system built with free Black labor and free Native American land, a system purposely built for the advantage of some, and the disadvantage of others.
A system which mightily resists change.
It's not easy to become president, even with that system in your pocket. It's a lot of work, and a hell of a longshot. But let's be clear: every single president of this country had the support of that system working for him. That's why every single president of this country has been White, and that's why every single president of this country has been a man.
There's a reason for it, people, it didn't happen by chance. That's how it was supposed to be, and that's how it has been.
Until now.
Neither one of our candidates would be where they are if they were White males, you got that right, Geraldine. Had Hillary been issued the penis, she may have been President before Bill. And if Obama were White, as Ferraro suggests, he may already have the nomination.
Hell, had Ferraro been male, maybe she'd have been president years ago. Ever think of that, Geraldine?
------------------------------------
UPDATE:
And Ferraro's response:
Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up.
Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?
Are you kidding me? I've got nothing.

17 comments:
i can't believe that stupid bitch said that...i can't believe i voted for her...judas priest...
It hurts when my jaw hits the floor like that. I cannot believe she said something so clueless.
The point is, none of these idiots are thinking, at all. They are reacting. They see this threat at the door, and don't know how to answer it. Their candidate is getting desperate, and so are they, and will say or do just about anything to cast dispersion on Obama. Fear is a great truth serom, and provides an nasty peek under the hood into the racist ideology that fuels this country. When backs are to the wall, mouths flap open, and nasty bits of truth come flying out. It wasn't so long ago, that I can recall people in the South calling the good Reverend Dr. King, an uppity N*****r, and were lamenting school integration. Any attempt at breaking through racial barriers to provide a better chance for their children, seen as a threat to the very fabric of our nation. It's time to throw the hooded robe into the fire Ms. Ferraro, that fabric just doesn't wash anymore. That Obama has climbed to the top of the pile in this race is a fucking miracle, not because he is an "articulate" Black Man (you know that was her racist subtext) but a miracle because every deck is stacked against him because he is a black man.
Clinton must be asking herself: "with supporters like these, who needs enemies?" Sadly, her and Bill are probably grateful that this nastiness was brought up. Anything for a win...
If Obama was white, his opponents would tear him apart for having a black wife and children.
Besides, wasn't BO's mom a white Kansan? That means he's a white man too, ya know, just one with pigmentation and a far broader perspective than most men ( and women), black or white.
Vote, vote, vote!
GF? tsk. I voted for her too...but look at the choice we had!
YDG & KCB: I was floored, too. As a woman I'm disappointed in that comment, and also the way Clinton's been scooping from the negativity bucket.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it would be great if gender didn't matter, but hello, it still does, and folks are going to attribute things like this to being "bitchy/whiny women". More, I hate to see it because both of these women are too smart and experienced to be going down that road.
Tater: Nail on the head -- fear brings out the ugly side of truth, that is for sure! I hate seeing the results of the Clinton campaign's desperation; they are not handling things as I thought they would, and my estimation of Sen. Clinton has fallen dramatically the last couple of weeks.
As for the Ferraro comment, I don't hold Clinton responsible for that any more than Obama can be held responsible for the "monster" comment. I'm not chalking Ferraro's goof up to Clinton, but Clinton has dropped the ball as well lately, like that whole "I take him at his word he's a Christian ... as far as I know" business. Please. She's savvy, she knew how that played. Cast doubt while appearing to support.
Allan: If Obama was white, with the same wife/kids, he wouldn't be in the race. Period. But that's a wholenuther set of issues.
Yes, his mom was white, but 1)that doesn't mean shit in America. One drop, y'all! 2)Who cares? The man identifies as Black. I'd love to see the day when how a person self-identifies trumps the box(es) other people want to put folks in.
Your point on Obama having a broader perspective - yes! Lots of things in his life give him that -- living and going to school overseas being one. His community organizing is another. His parents' backgrounds contribute to that as well, and all of that is an advantage for this country.
Gee, maybe we're seeing that reflected in his handling of this campaign in comparison w/ his opponent...
Geraldine is a boys name, only with a "ine" on the end.
I don't think that has anything to do with anything though.
I'm so sick of all the BS I just mute the TV when shit like this comes on.
Are you really surprised? Really - c'mon. There's a great post on Geraldine's comment by John Aravosis at Americablog.com - it's seems she's been practicing this line for quite a while; all the way back to 1988 against Jesse Jackson.
So Hillary supporters, how do you like your gal now?
So I think what she said was crappy and Hillary has spoken against what she said..Just to be fair, RG, Hillary might have some crappy people that support her.
But so does Obama. Lets talk about Donnie McClurkin,the guy Obama went on tour with to help reach Black Evangelicals. (that is the press release)
"Mr. McClurkin, a black preacher who sang at the Republican National Convention in 2004, has gained notoriety for his view that homosexuality is a choice and can be “cured” through prayer, a view ridiculed by gay people"
So they both have crappy people that stand behind them. I will still support who ever comes out on top, but the main reason I did not vote for Obama is because of his love for McClurkin. Crappy reason, maybe...Obama says he disagrees with McClurkin, and Hillary disagrees with Ferraro.
So that is that.
i saw this on the news oday and got a stomach ache.
I know...I was just bein' facetious...remembering how Rove and BushCo slimed McCain in South Carolina, 2000.
1) Truth.
2) I like it when he self-identifies as: "the next President of the United States."
At least you won't end up with the leader of your country being called Kevin ....Kev.
I knight you sir Kev of Austraya...
He's so "ordinary" same as our previous one, but even more so...
where are the real statesmen?
Gone to the world bank every one? Oh when will they ever learn,
when will they ever learn.
We have terms here for our two main party's leaders, "Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber" but at least they are from different parties.
Ausralians who even bother to care are astounded by how much time and energy the US puts into just electing the leader of one party...and then there's the election...
Hope it all pans out for you all.
JP: The -ine thing pretty much works for any guy. Josephine, Christine, Thomasine, Davidine, Haroldine, Kyline, Nicholine. Gets a little weird with you bloggers, though -- JPine? Sounds like J-Lo + Pine Sol. Slingine? Hmm. Taterine and Evilgine, though, that's gold.
Whim: I should probably try that. I usually just mute those infernal commercials.
RG: Actually, yes, I am surprised. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I really thought after the last 8 years, people would 1)actually believe some of the shit they preach, just a little bit, and 2)have the big picture of the party in mind. Yeah, that statement about Jesse really brings it home, doesn't it?
Sageweb: Well, my beef here is with Ferraro, not Clinton, although I was disappointed that Clinton didn't denounce it more strongly and cut her loose.
The gender and race issues of this campaign bring enough ammo from the conservative side of the fence -- it's awful to have it coming from the left, it's doing nothing but damage the party as a whole, and help the Repubs.
Point taken on the McClurken thing - Obama should've checked him out more carefully, that attempt at reaching out backfired.
Monica: Yeah. I expected this bullshit from the other side, not within. Don't these guys think about November? Damn!
Allan: I know. I appreciate your fine-edged facetiousness. And haha on (2)!
MC: Well, with all the flap about Obama's middle name, I'm thinking Kevin may have been a better deal. Hell, Barney would've worked. Or Davidine.
Yes, it is a hell of a process, isn't it?
I thought Tweedledum and Tweedledumber were Bush & Cheney ... no?
No, Cowbell, Bush and Cheney are Tweedledum and Tweedle-evil.
This whole thing is a misery and sadness. Apologies to Sageweb, but I feel that Hilary should have denounced this more strongly and clearly.
I don't have time to read everyone else's comments so forgive me if I'm repeating but I think it IS true that if she'd been a man she wouldn't have been on Mondale's ticket; he was intentionally trying to mix things up by selecting a woman. Her gender was a definite factor. Obama, on the other hand, is where he is because he's talking a line that resonates with a whole lotta people, some of whom started out supporting Hillary.
To suggest that his race is the only reason he's where he is right now (leading in the delegate count) is the sillest thing I've ever heard.
Know what's really ironic? A few years back there was a candidate who was charismatic, spoke the language of the regular folks and talked, somewhat radically, of a Third Way, in politics. He was fresh on the scene, born in poverty and raised by a single mom. He was intelligent, graduated from Harvard law and ended up in politics, in his case, the governor of a small state. There weren't a lot of people who liked his chances when he decided, with a fairly thin record of public service, mind you, to run for President. And yet none of that stopped Bill Clinton.
I'm rambling now.
E: Tweedle-evil! Gotta tell you, I do feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole and gotten stuck behind the looking glass these last 8 years. A funhouse looking glass.
Lorraine: Well, Ferraro herself said that her gender was a factor then. But that doesn't mean her experience is the same as Barack Obama's experience. To me it seems like she's upset that after all the work and time she put into it that, I don't know, like she'd passed that torch to Hillary and is pissed that they're being robbed of what Ferraro thought was a sure victory -- so it's easier for her to blame it on this, rather than face that loss could have something to do with Clinton herself.
Loved your last paragraph, good call.
Whoopi said something interesting the other day on The View. Talking about the interactions between white and black, now that Obama is running, there is going to be a lot of learning on both sides. Her point...here's what you said, and here's what I heard. What the races say (and mean), and what is heard could be contextually different.
Post a Comment