Empty Nest. Sort of.
Last Wednesday I put Male Offspring on a plane to 0man. Took him about 18 hours and two layovers to get there. Before he even got off the ground, he was stopped by Seattle security, on account of he had two rolls bagged up in his pocket, courtesy of his friend who works in a bakery. "Hey Fred! Come take a look at this! This guy's carrying two big round things ... in his pocket!" The rolls were X-rayed and examined. Fred determined they were only rolls, after all. Homeland Security, working for America.
The Son called the next day, around noon.
Me: So, how hot is it over there?
Male Offspring: About 85F.
Me: Oh, that's not too hot, considering it's 0man in June.
MO: It's midnight here.
Oh.
Yes, I am jealous, thanks for asking.
So he'll be there at least until the end of the month. He may stay longer, but hasn't decided yet. The Ex has some fun stuff planned for him, like getting him certified for scuba diving, riding ATVs in the desert, and the like. Very cool stuff for a kid. They may even visit the Rich Man's Paradise of Dubai, where they can indoor ski and visit man made islands.
So, of course, a day or two after Male Offspring's arrival, Somali pirates conducted their first ever attack on a ship in 0mani waters. Wonderful. What are the odds? I just hope the kid wasn't scuba diving in the vicinity.
The Bohemian won't be home much this summer, seeing as how she got a paid internship with NPR and is currently kicking ass doing all sorts of web stuff at her new J-O-B. She is also preparing for her senior recital (!!!) in the fall and hanging out with her significant other. She called me the day her brother left.
The Bohemian: Oh, you'll be all alone in the house ...
Me: Your sister comes home tomorrow night, so there's actually only one night overlap.
The Bohemian: Like I said, you'll be all alone in the house.
Teen Demon is home for the summer. So to speak. Can she already have finished her first year of college? Kids, a little consideration, please -- you're making Mommy feel old. Not cool. So the Demon has a summer job as a cake decorator, making use of her awesome cake decorating skillz. She brought home a buttload of stuff, spent a day in cleaning mode getting her old room back in order, which included hanging a giant shoe holder and a Tupac poster up on her pink walls. Then she left to go camping and fishing.
My ass has been too damn busy to feel lonely though. Besides, the dogs are still here with me. Never underestimate the value of a captive audience.

14 comments:
damn wish I could stop by for coffee... or better yet you stop by here!
Willym - you've no idea how much I would love that. And the puppies! Batman and Mason would love the puppies.
Oh, but definitely me stopping by there
Seems like a good time to perfect your Margaret Rita recipe! If I lived on your coast, we'd go out for a night of debauchery!
Or a good time to have a torrid affair! (With a handyman.)
(You know, as I was thinking about this comment, I realized a sad thing: at this point in my life going to visit Willym in Italy sounds more fun and relaxing than a torrid affair. Yikes!)
Except for the whole Oman thing, this is a glimpse into my future, circa 2021, or so.
ENJOY the Summer, Ms. Cowbell!
I remember when the daughter moved out and my mother called saying something about "empty nest". Mostly I remember that I was naked when I answered the phone, because once I had the house to myself again, I didn't put on clothes unless I had too, just because I could.
Too bad I'm not out west, I doubt if we'd be gettin' naked, but we'd probably be at least taking advantage of the refreshing cocktail possibilities.
Wow, did you run around the house naked on your night of freedom?
I am way too south to be a peeping tom..dang it.
RG: Love Margaret! And debauchery ...
E: How 'bout I go visit Willym and have a torrid affair with a handyman ... in Italy? Right after I drop that pesky 60 pounds.
Craig: And it will sneak up on you before you even know what's happening. Have you seen that commercial, where the little girl is asking to borrow her dad's car keys, and suddenly she morphs from tyke to teenager right before his eyes? It's like that.
EvilG: 1. It's too cold her for that shit. 2. They all have keys. 3. Have you heard the line, from that holiday poem, "...and he shook when he laughed like a bowl of jello"? It's like that. No desire to run around naked at present.
Sage: See above.
EvilG - oops, I think that was supposed to be "bowl full of jelly", not Jell-O. Whatever.
All this talk of Jell-O is making me want to get naked.
Kids gone...dogs for companionship....sounds like my life lots of times. Did I read you were rolling naked in a pool of jello?
All this talk about jell-O is making me want jell-O!
There's always room for Jell-O....oh FSM, did I actually type that?
OK, the Jell-O crowd is seriously deranged ...
Post a Comment