10 November 2008

Double-Oh-Bama

I don't know how I'm going to get through the next eight (yes, I said eight) years. Everything I see and hear about the new First Family makes me either tear up or smile so big I'm in danger of losing my cynical status. The whole First Dog story? With my rescue mutts sitting here beside me? Please. Water works. What school will the girls attend? Grandma moving in for family support? The little girls living in the bedrooms that the Kennedy children lived in? All of it brings about much sniffling and wiping of the eyes, accompanied by the requisite, "Aaaww". Pass the syrup. Goodlord, I'm worse than a 10-year-old at a Hannah Montana autograph session. To wit:

The Secret Service has assigned code names to the new First Family:

President-elect Barack Obama: RenegadeFuture First Lady, Michelle Obama: RenaissanceMalia Obama: RadianceSasha Obama: Rosebud

Yes, the Secret Service code names turned Cowbell a bit misty. Yeah, yeah, I said it was bad. But come on, is that not perfect? Radiance? Rosebud? For those precious little girls? And Renaissance for one of the classiest first ladies we'll ever hope to see in the White House? And both mom and dad's names bring to mind their overarching theme, change. So yeah, what of it if I get emotional over code names? 

They've also assigned the VP and ... Second Lady? Is that the term?

Vice President-elect Joe Biden: Celtic
Jill Biden: Capri

Those are nice, too, aren't they? Didn't make me tear up, but they did make me smile. (It will, however, annoy the hell out of me to hear people pronouncing it "Seltic". You know, after the basketball team.) Compare and contrast to the names for the outgoing couple:

Dubya: Tumbler
Laura Bush: Tempo
Dick Cheney: Angler

Tumbler? Angler? Boy they do tend to get it right with these names, don't they? And Tempo, well, she did try to keep him in balance, bless her heart. Wonder what the code names would've been had McPalin won? Come on, too easy: Maverick and Mavericker.

8 comments:

sageweb said...

SO funny I am watching Rachel Maddow and she is talking about their code names right now...weird.

Sling said...

If grandma is anything like mine,her code name is gonna be 'Rascal'..
The Pulitzer prize winning photos of this family are going to flow like wine!

Middle Child said...

I'm lost! A county which elects a filum star like Reaann and a six pack hero like Swarznhnegger (spelling??) to be inp ublic ofice is o outside our reality...HM

I don't understand that "star" quality makes presidents...call me old cynical but I have to say from DOWN UNDER that most of us think it reeks of hysteria...and that Obama supports death penalties...something we haven't had... thankfuly since the late '60's is absurd to us. No civilsed country on earth supports a death penalty...its a sick fuck..only poor people get put to death...sorry CM He is either liberal or what??? Most of us outsde the USA are over the Obama hysteria...hope I don't lose a friend over this but its the truth from those of us outside the US..

evilganome said...

Snap out of it girlfriend! He's a politician! It is always a good practice to view any elected official with a healthy dose of skepticism. He will undoubtedly be a huge improvement over W, but I am still in wait and see mode.

more cowbell said...

Sageweb: Love Rachel.

Sling: Oh I didn't even think about Grandma's code name! Rascal, that would be funny.

MC: Obama's no film star - I think the "star quality" comes from people's RELIEF to yes, have some charisma, competence, and intelligence in the Oval Office again. So forgive us our "hysteria", yes, we're feeling more than a bit elated here, and from all accounts, the rest of the world is pretty damn happy about it too.

I feel like our country was in a nose dive with no engines -- had McPalin taken the wheel after Bush, who knows what effect it would've had on the world, let alone our country. Americans are tired of being the butt of the world's jokes, of not being able to sleep well, never knowing what Bush will do next, watching our country fall apart financially as it became more polarized. So yes, this is an enormous relief, and plenty of us are more than a little giddy after the Bush years. I realize we'll have to get back to the real world soon enough, but for now, I'm enjoying sleeping easily and feeling hopeful and happy. If that makes me hysterical, so be it.

This is also a step forward in America's unique brand of racism that is on par with the Emancipation Proclamation, the end of Jim Crow, the Civil Rights and voting acts. So yes, as the mother of African American children, that means a lot to me, and I'm feeling pretty damn emotional about it.

Also, on the death penalty thing, McCain (and Republicans in general) would be the ones supportive of that. Obama has said he doesn't believe capital punishment deters crime, and in the Illinois Senate, he passed a bill requiring videotaping of all interviews & confessions. It was opposed by cops and prosecutors, and even his Democratic successor. I'm against the death penalty myself, but Obama's position on it is a hell of a lot closer to my beliefs than McCain or most other Repubs.

Evil-G: Yeah, yeah. You know I've got more sense than that in the long haul. But for now, as stated above, I'm indulging in just feeling some hopefulness and not feeling so much anxiety. Sue me.

Elizabeth said...

I'm wallowing in sentiment for a while longer. It's been a LONG eight years!

I Know! Rosebud and Radiance. Oh my God! Those girls are so beautiful and those names are so perfect. I've been crying like a leaky faucet too. The tears started when they called it for him, but got really really bad when we watched his family come on stage. I was with my older girls who are darkish-skinned Asians. When those two little brown girls walked on stage, my girls both kind of gasped and said, "Awwww!" and I just lost it. What a day that was. What a great, great day.

HALLEFUCKINLUJAH!

The Witty Mulatto said...

Gag me with a forklift.

I don't get this whole code name thing. If it's a code it's supposed to be a secret, right? Why is the Decider's code name all over the place? There's no point in having a code name if everyone knows that Renegade actually means Barack Obama.

The Witty Mulatto said...

Also, I agree with Middle Child. And no, MC (meaning Middle Child; I can't help if if y'all's initials are the same), you won't lose a friend over it. Cowbell's my mom and she still talks to me.