05 April 2008

Sleep is for Pansies

I keep thinking I'm going to have time to update. Also, monkeys could fly out of my ass. So here's the quick and dirty run down. Probably more dirty than quick. (No, RG, it does not involve a lascivious tryst.)

Things with my advocacy group are snowballing -- so much so that I will not be using the name of the group in this blog, lest my secret identity be outed to the locals who've been asking the Googles about us. Not just the locals, actually, as we're garnering notice in ever widening circles. Apparently our work has been creating a buzz in the surrounding school districts. This was news to us. Anyway, it's like these lines we've cast out are suddenly all being reeled in at once. Exciting, but tiring.

So we got invited to present at the county N@@CP meeting, which surprised us, but not as much as the invitation to have dinner beforehand with Dr. NameWithheld (Googlers), one of the state superintendents, and the keynote speaker. Best come up with another PowerPoint, wheee.

Every surrounding school district had sent their brass to the meeting. (You could pick most of them out ... the white guys in suits.) We got a lot of positive comments afterward, even from the aforementioned brass, so I'm hopeful about that.

Before the meeting ended, the governor's appointee to the State Commission on Hisp@nic Affairs took the microphone and said, "Ladies get ready for your phone to start ringing, because I will be using you as model ... at the state level,"

What?

Dr. NameWithheld spent a lot of time talking with us at dinner and after the meeting, gave us a lot of good insights, and said he would also be using us a model.

Not long afterward, he called our superintendent to "congratulate him on the wonderful work" happening in our district. Our super was apparently quite "honored" to be working with us. I just bet he was, with Dr. NameWithheld on the line!

Also, we later received an invitation from him to apply for a state committee working to set standards for alternative assessments to the W@SL. That is the statewide standardized test, now required to graduate, put in place and driven by our boy GeeDubya's No Child Left Behind act, so you can imagine how effective and beloved it is. Anyway, there are all kinds of issues there, but it's really important that there be people on the committee representing the perspective of diverse students.

So, two of us applied, and will be in Olympia most of next week at the invitation of Dr. NameWithheld. The second-best part? There is an honorarium, a decent one, plus all expenses, so for the first time I'll be paid in dollars as well as the intangible payoffs for doing this work. (Also makes it worth using the vacation days.)

One thing I'm really excited about is that we are working with our district, surrounding districts, and community organizations to bring this to our county for the first time ever.

Anyway, the group has been taking up so much of our time, but we're making contacts and things are really starting to grow.



Also, tomorrow is Caucus Day. No, I have not moved to Pennsylvania, tomorrow is the day that WA state Dem delegates will continue the process of moving Barack Obama into the White House. No, I'm not being presumptuous -- Sen. Obama took every single county in the state, so WA's role will indeed be assisting him to that end.

I've made a decision the past couple of weeks though; I'm not going to be gunning for a slot at the National Convention. I'd been committed to fundraising and shameless self promotion, anything to be part of that history, but I've had to rethink things. As a good friend said recently, there are millions of people across the country helping Sen. Obama, but only four of us steering this advocacy group, and it's really starting to take hold. The students in our district need this work, and there aren't millions out there volunteering for them or sending in huge amounts of fundage, I'll tell you that right now.

But you know, Barack Obama himself feels very strongly about community organizing, and his history of community work is one reason I believe so strongly in him. So, tomorrow's the end of the glory road.



Also, Male Offspring and Teen Demon purchased Guitar Hero, so my house is filled with the strains of "rocking out". A far cry from the days of the Bohemian's Chopin filling the house, but hey, I'm flexible. Slow Ride is my song. I'm pretty sure it's the easiest one. Even so, my rockometer sometimes dips into the red. The other night we had nine teenagers in the house "rocking out" and watching teen movies. Yes, actually, Teen Demon did clean her room for the first time in over a year so that she can have people over. It took many days, but she did it. Don't worry, I have before pics. Anyway, every mother loves quality time with her kids, right, but while phrase, "Hey, why don't you come rock out with me for a while?" may be music to my ears, my attempts on the "guitar" are not.


So, between the group, home, Guitar Hero, and the end of the fiscal year at work fast approaching, things are feeling as though they're bordering on the insane, not to mention a bit out of control. It's a good kind of out of control, though.

It's like my life has two modes of operation:
Mode 1) Ain't Shit Going On
Mode 2) I Need a Clone
I am currently in Mode 2.*


So next week I'll be in Olympia. Not sure what the WiFi situation will be. Also, I will be operating via The Brick, my ancient laptop, rather than Teen Demon's speedy machine of several tech generations later, so who knows how that will go. It's got one of those removable external WiFi cards. I'm surprised I don't have to carry a modem for the damned thing.

Time to grab three hours of sleep before the alarm goes off. I'm going to need an IV caffeine drip.


---------------------
*Disclaimer: Issues with This Old Motherfucking House can crop up in either mode. Ain't Shit Going On refers to the social and professional aspects of my life, and trust me, TOMFH can pop up with an exploding oven while I'm experiencing a dearth of activity in social and professional arenas.

16 comments:

evilganome said...

I'm happy to hear that the committee work is going so well. Congratulations! Continue to whup ass. Oh, and rock on.

Red Seven said...

Wow -- I fear that on a Saturday morning as I sit here with an absence of coffee and a sinus headache, I'll not find the words to adequately express my admiration and total (albeit non-sexual) crushy feelings. Today, Washington State -- tomorrow, the U.S.A. And by the time you're presenting your Powerpoints at the White House, there'll be a Democrat in there.

yellowdoggranny said...

i too am an obama mama...i was a delegte at the county convention at waco and going to be an alternate for west, texas at the texas convention...don't know if i will make it to denver , but im trying...i know where eveyone lives so can go cut their tires if i need too..ha

Sling said...

I think perhaps one day,we'll be referring to you as 'The power behind the President!'..
Rock on with yer bad self!

Doralong said...

Excellent work! Sometimes all it takes is a few reasonable and persistent voices to make a start at a change. I'm sure the good Senator will excuse you ;)

Humm.. now you have me wondering why mu life only runs in two gears also, curious.

Gavin said...

Congrats on such progress. And you are correct to be vigilant on your privacy. If you enter my full name into Google, you'll find my blog even though I've been careful to never mention it!

Anonymous said...

I am SO PROUD of you, and the work that your group has accomplished! WOW! You never cease to amaze me, and yeah, I could totally see you working on a federal level. You are my hero this week, and demonstrate what can be done when we think globally and act locally. I am so happy for you Cowbell. Yeah, my non-sexual crush is definitely on overdrive after reading this post...

The Witty Mulatto said...

I know the real reason you don't want to go to the DNC. You don't have to worry, though - I might be there to protest it but I wouldn't call you out personally as a supporter of the War Party. I think it's just gonna be general chanting. Maybe some out-of-tune singing, if I know progressives.

rosemary said...

Well congrats superwoman...and you are you know.....it is called multi-tasking.... that which females do best.

Middle Child said...

Unsure of the issues being from down under, but unbderstand why you have to keep names out of it all... good luck with it all and pelased to see you are so involved with these things.

RG said...

Congrats on the recognition of the work you and your group is doing. It's nice to have some recognition for your work. You and your group kick ass.

And for the record, it's not always about a "lascivious tryst".

whimsical brainpan said...

Congratulations on the success of your group!

Everybody loves a Guitar Hero. :-)

more cowbell said...

Hey all -- thanks so much for the good words, you guys know how to make a gal feel fine. And you eCrushers, love you boys. I have more news on the group and also about the yesterday's delagate fest, but I have to go to the mall (pleasenoanythingbutthat...). Do not ask. Anyway, thanks for all the shout outs -- it is exciting!

Anonymous said...

This is great news and I know very well it is more than deserved. These are exciting times for you and a lot will happen fast.

Because I've sort of been where you are now in the past, here''s some unsolicited advice which I generally don't give.

This is the time, more than ever, that your group needs to return to the basics and re establish motivation, focus and goals, and articulate them to one another, promising your dedication to them.

I know, sounds kind of like a "soft skills" teaching approach, and it is, but trust me, it's times when everything is going well and things are busy that the basics get left unattended and priorities become unfocused. Don't let the little stuff undermine the great stuff you are set to achieve.

And then have some fun!

Allan said...

Standardized testing is bad.
End the madness!

Anonymous said...

This is a nice blog. I like it!