Friday Videos - A Case of Joni
Close your mouth. Yes, Cowbell made the deadline. It's actually hard for me to watch videos. I'm too much of a multi-tasker. I can't stand to sit and do nothing but watch for 4 minutes. Opening it to another window works, because then I can continue doing crap, but it also means I can't actually SEE the video, which, when it comes to videos, kind of defeats the purpose.
This video though, is special. It is absolutely my favorite song ever.
Most of you are aware that I worship at the church of Joni Mitchell. She is seriously a genius. She is an artist, a painter, a poet, a singer, a songwriter. Creative genius. If she would have me, I'd so devote my life and passion to her, regardless of the fact that she is a smoker and doesn't have a penis. Those things just don't matter when it comes to Joni.
This song is A Case of You, and it is beautiful, both music and lyrics. The video is a slide show of photos of Joni along with some of her paintings. The lyrics are below, because they're just that damn good.
Especially the middle verse.
A Case of You
Just before our love got lost you said
I am as constant as a northern star
And I said, constant in the darkness
Where's that at?
If you want me I'll be in the bar
On the back of a cartoon coaster
In the blue tv screen light
I drew a map of canada
Oh canada
And your face sketched on it twice
Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
Oh and you taste so bitter, but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you
I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Oh I'd still be on my feet
Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
I'm frightened by the devil
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid
I remember that time that you told me, you said
Love is touching souls
Surely you touched mine
Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time
Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
And you taste so bitter, but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you
I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
And still be on my feet
I met a woman
She had a mouth like yours
She knew your life
She knew your devils and your deeds
And she said
Go to him, stay with him if you can
Oh but be prepared to bleed
Oh but you are in my blood you're my holy wine
Oh and you taste so bitter, bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I'd still be on my feet
mmmmm
~Joni Mitchell

19 comments:
Sing it Sister! L.O.V.E. me some JONI!!! I have the Blue album playing on my Ipod this morning. Coincidence? I like to think there are none. One of my favorite Joni songs, btw., and can't believe you posted this video today. It's just freaky.
Separated at birth, I tell you (too bad you got all the looks).
Tater: Weird! Oh, that makes me happy! And no - not a coincidence. So you could've been listening to "Case of You" at the very minute I was previewing the video. I knew I liked you. I love Blue. Also Miles of Aisles. Damn, also all of them.
The woman is a damn genius.. plain and simple. Love, love, love me some Joni..
"Oh but you are in my blood you're my holy wine
Oh and you taste so bitter, bitter and so sweet"..
Back when we were young,and knew everything,we would take the VW bus to Lake Milford in Kansas,smoke a little weed,eat a little Peyote,and solve all the world's problems to the heavenly strains of Joni and her poetry...Just wonderful Belle!
And another favorite song:
All the people at this party
They've got a lot of style
They've got stamps of many countries
They've got passport smiles
Some are friendly
Some are cutting
Some are watching it from the wings
Some are standing in the center
Giving to get something
Photo beauty gets attention
Then her eye paints running down
Shes got a rose in her teeth
And a lampshade crown
One minute she's so happy
Then shes crying on someones knee
Saying laughing and crying
You know its the same release
I told you when I met you
I was crazy
Cry for us all beauty
Cry for Eddie in the corner
Thinking hes nobody
And jack behind his joker
And stone-cold grace behind her fan
And me in my frightened silence
Thinking I don't understand
I feel like I'm sleeping
Can you wake me
You seem to have a broader sensibility
I'm just living on nerves and feelings
With a weak and a lazy mind
And coming to peoples parties
Fumbling deaf dumb and blind
I wish I had more sense ot humor
Keeping the sadness at bay
Throwing the lightness on these things
Laughing it all away
DL: And how!
Slingster: I knew I could count on you for some hardcore Joni love. You know of what I speak. Life's soundtrack, baby.
Tater: Hell yeah- the way she slings out those first two lines - hooked. "laughing and crying, you know it's the same release". Too good. I think tonight's going to be a Joni night at the House of Cowbell. Better pick up some wine. And cheese. Got the incense. Nag Champa, gotta have it.
River is my fav song. Whenever I am feeling low, I listen to it and to Janis Joplin.
Joni is the soundtrack of my youth! When I lived overseas someone would put on "California" at a party and everyone would start singing along. And "River" is one of my favorites too. The alvum, "Blue" is perfect, but I've grown really fond of "Hejeira" over the years.
And how heartbreaking is her alto-voice version of "both sides now" (on the Love Actually soundtrack and her CD)? Scary talented.
KA: River is really good too. It seems to be one that people want to "cover" - like anybody could cover Joni. Please. (That and Big Yellow Taxi - people, give it up.)
E: Me too, I grew up w/ Joni - she's really my mom's generation, not mine, but my mom played all those guys - Joni, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, CSNY, adn her favorite, Bob Dylan - when I was growing up. You know, I wasn't crazy about Hejeira when I got it, so never listened much - maybe I should give it another go, it's been a while. Yeah, her voice is a lot deeper than it used to be - she had that soprano, so clear! I think the smoking has really put her toward the lower ranges now. Either way - love her.
Big surprise here but this also happens to be my favorite Joni song. I have the lyrics printed out and refer to them often for poetic inspiration. And to think! I never realized what a multi-tasker you were when we watched videos at my house! I recall now that you were drinking the entire time. And wearing a hat.
I think my favorite Joni song would have to be "Carey" -- it's the playwright in me, I guess, but I'm amazed how she builds that character -- I feel like I know that crotchety old goat every time I hear it ...
Hat: Crap, did I sing that out loud that night, whilst drinking, hat wearing, and watching videos? I thought that was just in my head... Damn those Italian Iced Teas. (and no, that doesn't surprise me, it being your favorite)
Red: Good call - it's true! Love that one too.
i love her so much... my favorite is "all i want" but man, this song...man. i want her to be my kooky aunt joni who lives next door and brings over quiches... i'm a big old crazy.
Yeah...I grew up with Joni too. I guess since it's my mother's mother's generation, that makes it my grandmother's music. I listen to all that stuff too...in fact right now I have on that CrosbyStillsNashnYoung one about the Kent State thing.
Joni's paintings are awesome, too. And I think she's left-handed.
Only my favorite Joni song EVAH!
Monica - kooky Aunt Joni next door bringing quiches - wouldn't that be divine? I love "All I Want" too.
WM: Well of course you did, dear, because your mother is the most wonderful mother in the world, who had your musical upbringing in mind. Yeah, you know, she considers herself a painter MORE than she considers herself a singer! I love her art.
Lorraine: That's because you have highly refined taste!
I bought that album when it came out when I was in high school. 30 odd years later it still holds up!
That song is perfection. I hope you have the more recent cover she made of it with full orchestration. The maturity of her voice. The wisdom and sadness and strength of the newer cover adds even more richness to it, if that can be imagined.
Evil-G: That it does!
Farmboyz: No way - you must have ESP - I was just over commenting at your site for the first time while you were leaving a virgin comment here! I'll have to give a listen to the newer version - I actually have not warmed up to the big orchestra additions in some of the later pieces, but I admit I've been kind of stubborn about it. I'm coming around to some of them, and yes, her voice is wonderful both in the early days - clear as a friggin' bell - and the deeper richness of the more recent times. Always good to 'meet' another Joni fan.
Post a Comment