20 July 2007

Wipeout!

Warning: the following post may contain disturbing images of blood and/or pus, taken with a camera that is not my own. Recommended for mature audiences only.

So the other day at work, my cell phone rings.

If my cell rings while I'm at work, it's usually one of three things: 1) a child with a problem, 2) a child asking permission to go somewhere, or 3) an injured child. So, my cell rings. At work.

Annoying Ring! Annoying Ring!

Me:
Hello?

Dear Son: um, Anyu? Can you, I mean, maybe not right now, but on your way home? Could you like, bring some Band-aids?

Me: Son, I just bought Band-Aids. They're in the hall closet.

Dear Son: Yeah but, I mean some really big ones.

Me: What happened?!

Dear Son: No, don't worry, I know you're at work, I'll just tell you when you get home. So can you bring the Band-Aids? Like the biggest size?


What?

Oh. My bad. I was going to worry, but now I'll just get back to that spreadsheet.

What goes through their heads? You don't call your mom at work, drop some shit like, "I need some really big Band-aids, but hey, don't worry!" and expect your mom to just be like, "OK, no biggie, now where was I on that spreadsheet?"

Please.

So when you say really big, do you mean really big as in bigger than the Extra Large Flexible Fabric Knee & Elbow Band-aids that I just bought, and are in the hall closet? Really? Bigger than the ginormous gauze pads that are in said closet, too?

Sure. I won't give that a second thought.

Turns out he had a slight accident on his bike. On his way to the football workout. Trying to jump a curb. My first question was, "Is your head ok?? Were you wearing your helmet?" (Hey, I'm a mom, what do you want?)

It is, and he was.

Tore up both knees and hands, with the right knee being a particularly nasty pus-fest. Big old raspberry with some nice deep cuts embedded with sand and dirt. Wore the hair in that spot down to a fine stubble. Coach sprayed it with some sort of antiseptic spray, and Dear Son sucks it up and benches 170. (That's my boy, right there!)

The pain kicked in later. Along with the swelling and stiffness. That night, Tough Guy asked if I could "get him a crutch."

The boy, bless his heart, tried to treat it before I got home with the really big Band-aids. To his credit, he did wash it. ("All these little bits of rocky stuff rinsed out of there. It was pretty cool," he later informed me.) He then put a gauze pad on it.

With no Neosporin.

No ointment of any kind. Yeah. Between that and the tape ripping his new Manly Leg Hair off like a cheap wax job, he was not a happy camper. Luckily, he had some nice ooze going on, so the gauze pad wasn't permanently fused to his mega-berry.


Here's the medical documentation of The Wound, as he calls it.

Post-wipeout


Mom's Doctorin' Skillz


Second night. Note the nice slick coating.


Who needs the local HMO when you've got Mom's Family Practice, with no deductible OR copay?

The above documentation was, of course, done using kids' cameras. Somehow oozing wound photography just isn't the same, without dear Camera.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aforementioned 'ooze' is the skin trying to regrow right? Ah that is just nasty. Avert eyes! Avert eyes!

Cant.Stop.Looking.

Must...Turn...Away...

Anonymous said...

Yeea, that was an interesting post...Who ever that was (male type that is) must be really manly to take that and still be able to bench 170. I'd be scared to go against him in football or wrestling. The pictures also look pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

So that was me, pretty much. I am as my madre calls me (offspring male type). Well in my opinion it didn't hur the first day so why not still go to the work out right? well that worked out fine, but the next day when it actually was hurting my dogs ke[t running into it so that sucked and hurt really bad

more cowbell said...

Hat: I wonder what rating these gory pics will get me? I didn't get a pic of it fizzing with the Hydrogen Peroxide. Damn.

Anonymale Offspring: What are you doing reading an NC-17 site, young man?! And at least your Wound was covered, so you didn't get dog hair in it when they bumped you.
PS: OK, OK, you're "manly".

Anonymous said...

ya true but it was still annoying walking around all day dodging the dogs...and all the other stuff that goes on in the house while ur not home, and doing spread sheets......... jsut kidding

rosemary said...

Thank you beyond words for comment about Pea. I need to dig a bit into your blog to find out who Gene is..you? read about your manly offspring...and yes that is quite the knee...in technical nursie terms called road buen and it needs to be kept really clean...when i canstop crying long enough to see, I'm gonna add you to my blog roll. Love your humor.

Anonymous said...

OUUUUUCH!

Poor Boy. So you left work early, right? Like Hat said, I want to look away but just can't!

Sling said...

anonymous-Rub some dirt in it...it'll heal eventually and leave a really cool scar.

more cowbell said...

R: Gene is no one on the blog -- it's a quote from the SNL sketch, "More Cowbell", with Will Farell and Christopher Walken. The son was properly impressed that he had "road burn". It brought a smile to his face. What IS it with teenage boys?

Tater: yeah, pretty gory. the hair growing back in is going to be nice and itchy.

Sling: Hey, thanks for that! (friggin' Prior Service ...)

Veronica said...

EEEEEEEE!!

NOOOOO!

BigAssBelle said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

JIMINY CHRISTMAS!!!! ack! ack! ack!!!!

(rushing off to poke out my eyes)

Doralong said...

Don't you just love those sorts of calls?

"Ah, Mom- I thought you'd want to know....." OY! Yep- it's a male child thing, really it is.

I'll never forget last winter when the Hurricane had been warned 10 times at least that he couldn't snowboard down the hill because it had turned into a sheet of ice.

He goes out to "play in the snow" right.. In we come 10 minutes later with the right side of his face looking like raw hamburger..

Thankfully- no permanent damage. other than my nerves. Boys are just special that way, aren't they?

more cowbell said...

V & BABs: Yeah. It's not purty.

DL: You know, I used to think I wouldn't ever hold my kids to those "gender-based expectations and stereotypes", but I have two girls, 19 and nearly-18, and one boy, 14. Now the the girls have more years on the planet, more potential for injury, but the boy has had stitches four times, the girls, never. The boy is always getting scraped and banged up, the girls, not so much. The eldest did have a nasty bike crash recently, at college, resulting in a nasty scar because she didn't take care of it. -sigh-

Also, if someone on TV is snowboarding off a roof or jumping a bike over some kind of jagged metal object, the girls are all, "What an idiot", where the boy is like, "Whoa! Did you see that?!" -sigh- Testosterone: it's a dangerous thing.

Glad your snowboarding incident turned out ok.

evilganome said...

We always called it road rash. Anyway, you don't really grow out of this behavior. I was roller blading a couple of years ago and managed to take a lovely section of my epidermis off. Some things you just don't outgrow. We boys are all middle aged now and it is still competitive stupidity, as to who can manage the most needless and preventable injury. My younger brother is really pretty far ahead, but I think I have some real dumb left in me. I know I can finally wind up in a cast if I really put that extra effort into it.

Red Seven said...

Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!

Aaaaaaaaaugh!!!

I didn't even read the story, but I thought I'd be all butch about looking at these pictures, and I totally fagged out. I'm out and proud, baby. Yuck, that's gross and looks totally painful. Ew, ew.

I so wasn't meant to be a doctor.

more cowbell said...

Evil-G: Hey, thanks for dashing my hopes that this was temporary teen behavior! Great.

Red: Well, don't feel bad -- you probably would've been more butch (as opposed to butcher) if you hadn't had that housedress on over the weekend.

OH, and Lynette: I just realized something -- why did you get the heeby-jeebies, oh you of the superglued hand-meat? Now that's butch.

Doralong said...

**You know, I used to think I wouldn't ever hold my kids to those "gender-based expectations and stereotypes"**

Yeah, well I made a heroic effort myself. I did fight the good fight- The boy is always in some state of healing from some testosterone fueled brilliant idea- coming up on 10 and we've been to the ER at least 6 times for stitches and such.. The daughter, scar free at 15.

I cracked up over the fool on TV comment- that's exactly the way it works! She goes "What a moron!" He goes "Cool! Mom can I try that?"..

Allan said...

Geez...what a phone call-'don't worry, it's nothing that can't be fixed with a tarpulien-sized band-aid'....how soothing!

Allan said...

Oh yeah- the gore pics keep my queasy boss from reading over my shoulder.
Hope it heals well!