26 January 2009

Ding Dong, The Brick is Dead.

It's true. After years of long and faithful service, The Brick is beyond resuscitation. And I do mean years. For a laptop, The Brick was like that old dude in the Guinness book of world records who lived off yogurt and goats' milk his whole life. Seriously, The Brick is like 114 in laptop years. I think he's 9 or even 10 in people years. He was given to me in 2000 or 2001, and even then, he was a hand-me-down from my boss.

He was practically state of the art at the time. He had a docking station, so I used him at home and at work, toting him hither and yon in a stylish, if clunky, Dell laptop case. This was quite convenient for my boss, what with all those extra hours. Overtime? What is this, the States?

The Brick went about his duties, sitting proudly in his docking station, drawing oohs and ahhs from my buddies working for other subcontractors, still chained to their desktop towers. But that was another era. A time of floppy drives, hard-wired Ethernet connections, and 256MB of RAM. A time when Windows 98 was still kicking ass and taking names, and a GB was just a twinkle in some techie's eye.

In recent days, The Brick plodded along, with his old version of Explorer and his chunky plug-in wireless card, fans blowing hell bent for metal. Plugging in a flash drive caused him to warn me that I was about to use a USB 2.0 device with a USB-Methuselah port. Photos eventually had to be stored on an external hard drive. Also USB 2.0. iTunes was out of the question. But he bravely chugged along even as new computers took up residence for the Offspring, each more advanced than the last.

My frequent outbursts of frustration and yes, even rage, at his sluggish ways, his tiffs with the wireless router, his short memory, and the death of his battery didn't phase him. He just kept plodding along. Well, unless he shut down or refused to connect, but hey, he tried.

He outlasted The Bohemian's laptop, new to her in 2005. And I'd still put him up against that Vista crap on Male Offspring's flashy machine, any day. (Yes, even dead, I'd put him up against Vista.)

So, no, I haven't been blogging, checking emails, or twittering. The Brick has finally given up the ghost, and I am without technology. Reduced to watching bad TV and (gasp) reading books. Call it a mourning period. Or call it being cash-strapped after the damn Roof Debaucle of 2008. Whatever. I am working on procuring a new computer - not that any new machine, with its megabytes and glossy widescreen could ever truly replace The Brick, but my blogging career is suffering, and I feel cut off from the information highway. I never realized how many questions I pose to the Oracle of the Googles every day until The Brick's untimely death. Well, I guess it wasn't really untimely, but you get my meaning.

Please keep The Brick in your thoughts, as he journeys to the next phase of the cyber realm. May he have Explorer 8, many gigs of RAM, and USB 2.0 in the afterworld. Rest in peace, my boxy, recalcitrant friend ... your work here is done.

As for me, never fear, I'm sure I'll have much to bitch about. One word: Vista.

14 comments:

sageweb said...

sorry for your loss...now it is time to move on...if I were you I would go to a computer nerd and have him install the old windows..the Vista is whacked.

Willym said...

or... gasp... buy a MAC!!!!

the Brick's work now is done - I hope it is trading 0s and 1s with my old IBM notebook in the great Computer playland.

And the sooner you get yourself hooked up the better - I miss you...

baci di Roma

evilganome said...

Seriously. If you are determined to get another PC instead of a Mac, find a copy of XP. Vista sucks soooooo badly. Also, angry customers are forcing Microsoft to continue to support XP, so you should be okay there.

Gavin said...

Did you have someone look at it? My iBook developed a pink screen after I went to NOLA. I looked it up online and it said I likely had a pinched cable. I took it to the Apple store and it miraculously cured itself! Things never have a problem when you try to show it to someone who could fix it!

RG said...

So are you going to bury it in backyard next to the hamster?

KCB said...

Au revoir, Brick.

Sling said...

First your digital camera,and now the Brick!..You must be inconsolable.
I'd become a ghostly figure,wandering the moors on moonlit nights if it happened to me.

The Witty Mulatto said...

When I read "ding dong, the Brick is dead", I at first thought you were referring to Dubya's departure from the White House.

Elizabeth said...

Aww..... Too bad. So many tart zingers came out of that brick. RIP ol' brick. You saw Bush out of office and then retired!

Doralong said...

May he rest in eternal peace knowing his long and faithful service gave much amusement to your friends out here in blog land.. And Vista really really does suck. I'm with Gavin- if you don't want to come over here to the Mac side, get yourself a copy of XP!

more cowbell said...

Sage, Doralong & EvilG: If you order direct from Dell, you can get XP as a "bonus". They won't install it "instead of" Vista, but they'll do it as an "extra", still send you the Vista CDs, so they can still count it as a Vista sale. That way their stats don't reflect how much Vista sucks ass. Sneakyass bastards. But I can't get it from a STORE, i have to order online, which brings me back to that whole thing of them refusing to ship to PO boxes, which I have for SECURITY. They want to just sit it out on my porch, while I'm at work. Like somebody's not going to see a big ol' Dell box and steal that shit. Ship to my damn PO box. Grr.

Willym: I've considered it, as you know, but concluded I'm just not a risk taker with costly items. Unlike a night of abandon in Tunisia, but hey, different situations. Have you lit that candle yet?

Y|O|Y: The Brick is so old that it wouldn't be worth the cost of the check up. I've been knowing for a long time that I need to replace him ... I'd been planning on doing it before the end of '08, along with the refrigerator, which is in bad shape, but then the roof happened. Investing any $ at all in him would be like putting a new transmission in a junk yard car.

RG: Excuse me? Cadbury was a RABBIT.

KCB: Yes, au revoir, Brick. And au revoir to Bush and Blagojevich too.

Sling: Yes, he'll be meeting Dear Camera in the final cyber resting place, I'm sure. And holy crap, your last sentence made me LOL. Where do you come up with this stuff?

WM: HA! (That's my daughter, people ...)

E: Yes, It's true. The Brick, for all his foibles (and there were many), was The Brick behind the blog. And maybe he WAS waiting for Dubya's departure ... kind of noble of him, wouldn't you say?

Middle Child said...

All hail the BRICK...what a legend!

Tate said...

RIP Brick.

And this reminds me of my favorite Play...


Maggie: Why can't you lose your good looks, Brick? Most drinkin' men lose theirs. Why can't you? I think you've even gotten better-lookin' since you went on the bottle. You were such a wonderful lover...You were so excitin' to be in love with. Mostly, I guess, 'cause you were... If I thought you'd never never make love to me again... why I'd find me the longest, sharpest knife I could and I'd stick it straight into my heart. I'd do that. Oh Brick, how long does this have to go on? This punishment? Haven't I served my term? Can't I apply for a pardon?
Brick: Lately, that finishin' school voice of yours sounds like you was runnin' upstairs to tell somebody the house is on fire.
Maggie: Is it any wonder? You know what I feel like? I feel all the time like a cat on a hot tin roof.
Brick: Then jump off the roof, Maggie, jump off it. Now cats jump off roofs and they land uninjured. Do it. Jump.
Maggie: Jump where? Into what?
Brick: Take a lover.
Maggie: [angrily] I don't deserve that! I can't see any man but you. With my eyes closed, I just see you. Why can't you get ugly Brick? Why can't you please get fat or ugly or somethin' so I can stand it?
Brick: You'll make out fine. Your kind always does.
Maggie: Oh, I'm more determined than you think. I'll win all right.
Brick: Win what? What is, uh, the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof?
Maggie: Just stayin' on it, I guess. As long as she can.

rosemary said...

oh brick, dear brick, may you rest peacefully among other bricks...like Lulu and Fred and pretty soon HewlyPac will join you in the computer science cemetery. welcome him...because bricks are male right???