FOX Noise: Lincoln-Douglass Debates
I'm a bit late to this party, as it's already out on the Internets, and our man Keith Olberman already busted this out on the airwaves, but it was too good to pass up.
You all remember when Hillary Clinton challenged Barack Obama to some good old fashioned, unmoderated, Lincoln-Douglas style debating? Now, I assumed she was referring to this:
The Lincoln-Douglas debates were a series of 7 political debates that took place across Illinois in 1858 between Abraham Lincoln and his opponent, Stephen A. Douglas, in the race for an Illinois seat in the US Senate.
Apparently, the folks at FAUX News were a mite confused at the Douglas part of that deal, as seen in their "reporting" of Senator Clinton's suggestion:
This is the split-screen from the FOX version:
Oh yes they did.
The Douglass to which they referred, of course, is Frederick Douglass -- abolitionist, author, lecturer, newspaper publisher, international traveler, former slave. Black man.
And here on the right, we have Stephen Douglas, Abraham Lincoln's opponent in the aforementioned debates. Senator, pro-slavery politician, racist, unsuccessful presidential contender. White man.
Different guys. Different beliefs. Different locations. Different jobs.
Hey FOX, I'm pretty sure Stephen is your man.
Of course, this begs the question: are the folks at FOX really that ignorant? Did they seriously think that Lincoln debated Frederick Douglass in a series of debates that focused largely on the issue of slavery? Did they really not know the difference between these 2 radically different men? Did they simply not pay attention? Not catch it?
Or, some proffer, did they do it on purpose?
Neither would surprise me. Lord knows that the "history" taught in our schools is Eurocentric and leaves a whole lot of information out. I can certainly believe a future FOXer could make it to graduation without having more than a vague recollection of Frederick Douglass's name. On the other hand, I can also believe they'd pull that shit on purpose.
I just continue to marvel at the fact that the conservatives expect people to take FOX seriously as a news source.

18 comments:
holy shit....well, what can you expect...it's fox..
This must have been done purposefully. I can't imagine, even with our poor education system, that anyone would think Lincoln debated a black man in 1858.
Then again...it is Fox News. Their employment practices probably don't require an educational background check, merely a recommendation from one of their more popular, inbred correspondents.
Oh happy day!
I am so gonna throw this in the face of my republican work mate. :)
Every.single.day,I have to listen to non-stop-talker go on and on about what he just heard on Fox news.
"I just continue to marvel at the fact that the conservatives expect people to take FOX seriously as a news source."
Well they are also the people who elected Ronald Regan as president, and who also believe Ted Haggard is now 100% heterosexual. Given that track record I'm surprised more of them don't try to fly.
I vote intent instead of ignorance actually, but I tend to be cynical that way.
All of the above. Half are malicious, half are less intelligent than the offspring of crossed Arkansas siblings. Darth Murdoch is laughing all the way to the bank.
I laughed, then I sighed, then I laughed again. Then I made that one-ear-up puzzled thang that dogs do.
Yet one more reason to ignore the television. Jesus H. Christ. I can't believe that wasn't intentional. I also can easily believe that Rupert Murdock gets all of his employees from a farm of tiny brained people that he owns.
YDG: Well, I didn't expect much, but ...
Rodger: I know, right? You'd think it would've occurred to whoever put that split screen together that something wasn't adding up with a Black man running for a US Senate seat during slavery. Then again, our schools do love to whitewash over that peculiar institution, don't they?
Sling: Ha! Please do keep us posted!
Al: I think those are the guys on Jackass running off a roof with those paper wings ...
DL: Me too. But then ... you know, it's a toss up.
Tater: Hey, I have relatives in Arkansas. OK, not really. Well, 6 of one, half-dozen of the other ... could go either way.
Hat: Those Repubs ... always good for some puzzlement.
EvilG: I know ... it's such a toss up. Either scenario is, sadly, easy to believe when it comes to FOX.
Well, it's perfectly clear to me that when Hillary suggested to debate Barack in the style of Lincoln and Douglas, she couldn't have been referring to Stephen Douglas, because Stephen Douglas was white and Barack is not. Therefore, it was Hillary's mistake, and not the good, good people at Fox News. Why do you hate your country??!!
I think it was intentional. Remember all the Republican scandals (or continuing as the case may be) just before the 2006 elections? Ever time a Rethuglican got into trouble when their pic came up on the screen it was always marked Sen. So-And-So, D-Whatever state. Mark Foley was marked D-Florida.
Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a TV news veteran (though mercifully, not from FOX)I could see it either way. Put it this way: There's a lot of overlap in the industry between the stone ignorant people and the ones who intentionally do nasty things.
Holy cats! I had not been aware of this little tidbit and am just...oh, there aren't any words...must go find Keith's take.
Sheesh.
That's the most incredibly stupid thing I've ever heard of in my whole entire life.
I know I always go on about not underestimating the imperialist class, but this time I really feel like they were just stupid.
Although my high school history book did have a whole little side-section on those debates, and it talked about how they didn't have microphones, and how Lincoln was more bad-ass because he was tall, and it also had some slightly progressive analysis about how neither of them were actually anti-racist.... If I remember that much and I'm not even a history major, I don't think it's too much to ask.
What a bunch of dumbasses.
Red: Are you channeling Ocounty?
RG: True. I wouldn't put anything past them.
Casey: Exactly -- ignorance or ill intent? Toss up.
Lorraine: I know. It's almost unbelievable. But then, it's FOX.
WM: It may not be too much to ask, but ... that's never stopped FOX before. Well, you had history teachers who actually did go somewhat off-text. One of them was a communist, bygod, and had those radical posters! Also, I'd wager that you engaged in your history class more than the FOXers did. Remember those WWII comic books you made in 7th grade?
I saw that on KO. Incredible.
Nothing surprises me anymore.
This is a nice blog. I like it!
Cool stuff.
Post a Comment