03 March 2009

Bobby, You're Doin' a Heckuva Job!

Stardate: Monday, March 2nd. Cowbell's Log: Male Offspring is home from school now, but (shh) hasn't taken his computer back yet. I'm assuming this means he doesn't have any homework, not that he isn't doing his homework.

So I'm blogging. I know, I just blogged this morning. Crazy, right? It's almost like having a computer again. I feel like one of those monkeys with unlimited access to cocaine who keep pushing the button until they're coked out. Pace myself, I know. I'm saving this one and another as drafts to publish later. Dole it out. Make it last.

Guys, there have been so many things I've wanted to blog about. When I do get some time, it's hard to write about anything serious, because I know I'll only have the computer for a limited time. Pressure. Like a timed test, but without the number 2 pencil. Of course, now that I have a computer in front me, my mind is a complete blank, but trust me, there's a lot I wanted to blog about. The Inauguration, for one. OK, never mind, too much pressure to put THAT into words. Male Offspring will be here any minute. What else?

Oh, I know.


Fast forward to President Obama's speech last week. How good does it feel to have a competent leader at the helm? And how good does it feel to watch my son watching the President's speech? Every time the man speaks, Male Offspring is right there. He watches the news more now, too. Discusses issues. Ask questions. Talks about his opinions. Says his President rocks. To those folks who "just don't see color", and think it doesn't matter if a role model is green, purple or polka-dot ... it matters. It matters a lot.

So the son and I watch the speech. Then comes the Republican response. People ... what the hell was that? I'm sorry, but Bobby Jindal looked like one of those dolls where you pull a string and he talks. I think they wound his string too tight.

You know how, when people are on stage -- singing, speaking, playing violin, whatever -- and it's so bad that you're embarrassed for them? It was like that. It reminded me of high school, when Scott Fitzgerald sang I Got Rhythm at the spring concert. Except he didn't. Have rhythm, that is. Sweet boy, but ... no. It was excruciating. I remember squirming, watching him stiffly snapping his fingers off the beat while singing at the floor, his voice occasionally cracking. God, I wanted to disappear in a hole for him.

Bobby Jindal was about like that, on the stiff and awkward scale. I kept waiting for someone to use his tie like one of those big stage hooks, and reel him off stage.

He started off like he was in some weird "who's the most ethnic" contest or something. Did you all catch that? He's all like, oh yeah, keep your Hawaii and Indonesia and Kenyan father -- MY parents were immigrants! My mom was 4 months pregnant with me when we got here, so I was like a pre-existing condition! [stretch lips over teeth, force chuckle, hold for 2 beats]

Really? So ... in the Republican response, you not only want to bring up immigration, but immigrants entering the country shortly before giving birth to a child who will then be an American citizen, via the US health care system? Look dude, maybe nobody briefed you, but your party is against immigration. And immigrants having babies here. And immigrants having access to health care. Yeah, it's kind of a major party platform. So ... where were you going with that? And the Hurricane Katrina bit? Whose brainchild was that? Psst, Bobby: your party blew the whole Katrina thing. Bad. It's true. You guys were basically a laughingstock. Not sure where you were going with that one, either.

So I'm sitting there asking, where's the response? He's supposed to be responding to the President's speech. Did he even listen to the President's speech? Did no one forward them a transcript? Did his staff set him up? Because really, there's a bit of a disconnect here.

Male Offspring didn't respond to my questions right away. He was sort of entranced, mouth half-open, brows furrowed. I think the tie hypnotized him.

I really was expecting more. This is the great hope of the Republican party? If he and Sarah Youbetcha Palin are the rising stars ... oh hell yeah, we've got our 8 years in the bag. Bobby you're doin' a heckuva job!

10 comments:

Doralong said...

I thought Jindal was more like Mr. Rogers on 'ludes.

Response? What response?? He's catching some real hell for the Katrina comments in NOLA though. Seems like the fine citizens of that city took some offense. Imagine that?

RG said...

You have to wonder about "Bobby" Jindal - Are You Fucking Kidding Me? Seriously, this is the best the Republicans can offer? bwaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

sageweb said...

Jimmy Kimmel did a great sketch on Booby Jindal ..using Ken the intern from 30 rock it was hilarious. I think it is funny the rupublifarts are searching for someone to represent.so far they got Booby and now Rush is stepping up..atleast they are keeping us entertained.

rosemary said...

Jimmy looked ill....and smarmy.

Elizabeth said...

It would be both excruciatingly painful and wonderfully amusing to see him try and run against Obama. And Mitt Who-let-the-dogs-out Romney is trying to crank it up again! It would crack me up if I didn't remember how deadly dangerous they are!

Sling said...

The juxtaposition of Jindal after Obama was like some kind of slow motion car wreck,where everyone gets whiplash.
I know exactly what you mean about feeling sorry for Jindal.It was excrutiating.

Sling said...

The juxtaposition of Jindal after Obama was like some kind of slow motion car wreck,where everyone gets whiplash.
I know exactly what you mean about feeling sorry for Jindal.It was excrutiating.

The Witty Mulatto said...

Apparently his response was written way before the speech was ever given. That's the word on Capitol Hill.

more cowbell said...

DL: "Mr. Rogers on 'ludes" -- ha! Wait ... I like Mr. Rogers!

RG: Well, there's always Rush.

Sage: I haven't seen 30Rock, but I heard it was a good likeness.

Rosemary: Didn't see Jimmy either. Bobby turned me off of tv for a while.

E: Exactly - dangerous goons.

Sling: Yeah, like a 12 car pile up.

WM: Really?? Wow, I had no idea! You couldn't tell at all!

Anonymous said...

You know there is something oddly Ken Doll and Malibu Barbie about Republican men and their helmet head wives with perma hair and the bad choice in crowns. Someone should tell them that while Chicklet white is very pretty, it does not resemble any human tooth. There's also just a very EWWW vibe to that ilc as well.

But the immigration comment, I honestly wondered if I was high. I thought, "that's your opener, are you mad". A new Fox series, "Chronicles Of The REAL Immigrant. Because we don't want more than one of those kind at a time!"

Okay that was meant to be a joke, but the scary thing is it sounds like Fox any day of the week.